How To Dispose of Needles
How To Dispose of Needles
Needles are helpful when it comes to treating sick people. But, disposing of them can be a headache and can be harmful when not done properly.
Certain areas have directions on what you can take in and how to dispose of these materials. These areas usually include landfills, hazardous waste facilities, and E-waste facilities. One of these areas is a hospital.
However, hospitals and pharmacies offer help on how to dispose of needles safely. You’ll need to follow their instructions since they know what goes in their trash or bins. Keep reading to know more about the proper way to dispose of needles.
How To Dispose of Needles Properly?
Proper needle disposal is important for both public health and safety. There are a few different ways how to dispose of needles, and the best method may depend on the type of needle and the amount of waste generated.
For small numbers of needles along with other sharps, it is best to place them in a sharps container. These containers can be purchased at many pharmacies or online. Once the container is full, it can be disposed of at a hazardous waste facility.
For larger numbers of needles, it may be best to contact a professional medical waste disposal company. These companies will pick up and dispose of medical waste, including needles, according to local and state regulations.
Disposing needles may also vary from different locations. Here’s how to dispose of needles at specific locations:
Needles can be used at home to inject medications. Follow these safe needle disposal steps:
• Gather all used needles in a hard plastic or metal container with a screw-on lid.
• Keep the container out of the reach of children and pets.
• When the container is full, seal it with heavy-duty tape and label it “Do Not Recycle—Sharp Waste.”
• Contact your local solid waste management district to find out the best way to dispose of your container of needles.
At A Public Facility
If you find a needle at a public facility, you should act upon it immediately to prevent harming people. Here’s what you should do:
• Carefully pick up the needle with a pair of tongs, pliers, or tweezers.
• Place the needle in a hard container with a screw-on lid, such as a bleach bottle or coffee can.
• Tape the lid shut and label the container “Do Not Recycle – Hazardous Waste.”
• Take the container to your local hazardous waste disposal facility.
If You Are A Healthcare Professional
Needles are part of healthcare professionals’ lives and to dispose of needles they need to do it properly. You can do so by following these simple steps.
• Remove the needle from the patient and discard it in a puncture-proof container.
• Clean the needle with soap and water.
• Place the needle in a sharps container and label it accordingly.
• Once you run out of needles, be sure to buy needles from a reputable source. Click here for more information on where to buy medical needles.
Practice Proper Needle Disposal
If you are wondering how to dispose of needles, you must determine how many needles you need to dispose of and where you are disposing of them from. The best thing to do is to put them in a hard container with a lid and bring them to your local waste management facility when it becomes full. Be sure to practice proper needle disposal to prevent hurting other people.
Did this article teach you proper needle disposal? Keep reading our blog for other helpful topics!