Mac gross sales down 10%, iPhones up 3% — Breaking down Apple’s quarterly numbers – TechCrunch
To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox daily at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Good morning, you fantastic specimens of humanity! It’s Friday, and I’m penning this from the hammock in my sunny North Oakland backyard, so life ain’t all that dangerous. (I can solely assume that WFH stands for Work From Hammock).
This weekend, earmark a little bit of time to use to our Startup Battlefield 200. It provides you the prospect to exhibit your startup totally free at TechCrunch Disrupt in October and win the $100,000 prize. Applications close August 5, so get cracking!
Have a superb one, and see you subsequent week! — Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
Startups and VC
It’s all go, go, go on this planet of insurance coverage. Mary Ann experiences that Lemonade acquired Metromile and promptly laid off about 20% of its staff. Is smart, after all, in a world the place there’s most likely a good quantity of administrative and operational overlap between the 2 firms, however it’s all the time unhappy to say goodbye to beloved colleagues.
And don’t miss Aria’s piece about how the Exploration Company is developing a brand-new reusable orbital spacecraft. “The [space] exploration ecosystem goes to alter dramatically within the most likely subsequent 10 to fifteen years,” co-founder and CEO Hélène Huby defined. “In case you make it occur, you’ve got an enormous benefit of being one of many first available in the market.”
A number of extra nuggets to take you into the weekend:
- Taking the enjoyable out of all the things: A startup is charging $1.99 to write strings to feed into platforms like DALL-E, and I despair for humanity. Come on, that’s half the enjoyable! No thanks in any respect to Kyle for making me seethe with confused anger this afternoon. Jerk.
- Making it rain down in Africa: Zedcrest Capital, a agency identified for its debt and fairness capital markets investments however who not too long ago began dabbling in enterprise investments, has launched a $10 million “emergency fund” for African startups, aimed toward pre-Sequence A stage firms, Tage experiences.
- Driving classes for industrial autos: Polymath Robotics launches to bring plug-and-play autonomy software program to any industrial car, Kirsten experiences.
- The extra you be taught: what, I’ve by no means learn one among Devin’s articles that didn’t make me go, “Huh! I didn’t know that!” In the present day, Shinkei Systems’ AI-guided fish harvesting robotic gave me that second of enjoyment.
All my apes gone: Authorized disputes on the intersection of IP and NFTs
When Andy Warhol appropriated photographs of Campbell’s Soup in 1962, he was fortunate: For a bunch of causes, the corporate determined to not sue him for infringing its trademark.
One wonders how the state of affairs would have performed out 60 years later if Warhol had minted a sequence of NFTs with the enduring soup labels, nonetheless.
In her newest TC+ put up, CORPlaw founder Kristen Corpion examined “essentially the most attention-grabbing and essential IP authorized points which can be at present impacting the creation, switch and use of NFTs,” together with trademark infringement, the primary sale doctrine and why Seth Inexperienced ended up paying a $100,000 premium to purchase again his stolen Bored Ape.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
It’s by no means gonna offer you up. It’ll make an effort to by no means allow you to down. It most likely received’t run round and desert you. However TikTok may be considering a music service, report Aisha and Ivan in an article that sadly falls wanting the necessary quota of musical puns. Don’t fear, people, I’ll discuss to her about it.
In the meantime, Annie experiences that Kenya is considering giving Fb a smack with the ban-hammer, after the nation’s Nationwide Cohesion and Integration Fee finds that the social media platform isn’t doing enough to clear out hate speech.
- Is multimedia coming to Twitter?: Seems to be just like the social media platform is testing letting you post images, videos, and GIFs all in the identical tweet, Ivan experiences.
- We don’t need your steeenking adverts: Roku misses the mark on its quarterly outcomes, and blames advertising slowdown for developing quick, Lauren experiences.
- Financial institution steadiness goes down, shares go up: Amazon reported its earnings and ran at a $2 billion loss. Looks as if stonks love that kind of factor, as a result of the share price went up, experiences Lauren.
- For you, particular value. For you, it’s double: Twitter Blue will get a value hike from $2.99 to $4.99 per month, experiences Ivan.
- The place do you’re taking somebody after a “peekaboo” accident? To ICU: Instagram just about copied BeReal for its Dual camera feature, however kinda missed the purpose alongside the best way, Amanda explains.
- Is there something they’ll’t do?: Video memes, perhaps music quickly (see above) and now TikTok begins testing HTML5 minigames with a handful of companions, Sarah experiences.